- How important do you feel environmental degrade is and why?
I feel that our political leaders are not taking the threat of environmental degradation seriously simply because it doesn’t fit in with their agenda. Politicians come and go but the fact is the degrading of the environment will not stop unless something is done about it. It is important to take action to reduce our carbon emission because if we don’t. the young ones will suffer the consequences of our inaction. One of the slogans at the Friday climate emergency rally was “System change not climate change”. We can change our attitude to the climate by changing the government to those who care about the climate, the future of our planet and the young ones that will live after us. “ No soil, no life” was another poignant message of the day.
2. What unite workers to the victims of the Atlanta’s floods or the indigenous people of the Amazon?
Global warming and environmental degradation is causing people to move in large numbers. Millions of people have been forced to migrate from their homes and leave their countries for a safer environment. Trade unions are for social justice and preservation of human rights including the right to adequate shelter. For this reason, workers will continue to identify with the victims and do whatever possible to push the climate emergency to the top of the agenda.
3. Is global warming an inevitable epilogue or leading world economies governments and global business multinationals bear a responsibility for what is happening to our earth?
4. How does the unbridled exploitation of world resources pair up with unregulated workers exploitation in both the advanced and the third world?
5. Who’s responsibility is to organize and mobilize against the dual exploitation of workers and earth resource?
All of the above questions are inter linked. Government groups like the G7 and other big players in the world economy including multinationals don’t care about what is happening on the earth, all they care about is about making profit. They are polluting our climate, causing untold damage to the earth, so they are responsible for the climate emergency. They continue to exploit world resources while attempting to silence environmentalists, and scientist are being called liars for campaigning against their attitude to climate change.
All activists who care about our earth, the future of our children and fairness, equality and social justice for all should join in collective action in mobilising, organising to shame governments and multinationals who are exploiting workers and earth resources.